About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Monday, February 4, 2008

Poems about Place

I read Lake Isle of Innisfree by WB Yeats and asked the students to write poems about their ideal place to live. Any wild thing was allowed!

Jericho A
K

I live in a house
In a garden
There is a flower circus
The doors are automatic

Ange
K

My house is colorful
Green and purple
Everywhere is made
Of bubble gum
And butter mints
And roll-ups

Carson
K


I live underwater
I can get crabs
I get shark rides
Getting blasted
Out of the water
By a whale
Who is my pet

Mia
K

My house is made
Of leaves
It grows
And gets bigger

Trinity
K

I want to live
In a tent on the beach
My tent is a rainbow
We go in the water
And play with a shovel

Michael W.
K

I live on Jupiter
I jump from star
To star
I have a space house
It sounds like the moon is asleep
I eat soup on Jupiter

Aaliyah J
K

I live in a tree house
In the trunk
Like a squirrel
I sleep on my couch
Made of acorns

Jalen T
K

I’m living in a hotel
It’s fun and you
Can sleep
You can have a party
And not clean it up
You can relax

Brad H
K

I live in a tree
I have to climb up
I sleep in a bird’s nest
I eat apples
From the branches
I pick leaves off of the tree


Arinola A
1ST

I want to live
In a flower
Because it is
So so so so
Beautiful
And butterflies
Can visit me
My house is
The cutes one of all

Sentwali N
1ST

I would live in Detroit
I would live in a hotel
But different
I would have a wife
I’m going to own
My huge house
I would have a hot tub
And water rides
And games

Tykira F
1ST

I live in a big house
With a refrigerator
And I live in New York
And want a big scream T.V.
In my living room

Cameron
1ST

I will live in a hole
With spiders
It is cool
I like it
I eat cat
And dog
And bugs
And bats

Tyree P
1ST

I’m going to live
In the subway
My house always
Moves
We live on
The Green line.

Bryant
1ST

I wish I could
Live in a tree
I eat acorns
I climb out of holes
I have lots of cats

Joshua D
1ST

I will live
In the dirt
Worms come out
And I eat them
I have to dig tunnels

No comments: